Martín de la Puente: “The medal in Paris is not only a dream”
METERartn de la Puente (Vigo, 1999) is about to shut a dream 2022. Finish the 12 months as world number one chair tennis doublesafter win the US Open and the Masters Match. Within the particular person rating, he’s seventh. Ten years in the past he was quantity 228. “She’s loopy,” he admits. The Galician, who simply performed in Chile an exhibition match with Nadalattends MARCA in Paris through the Presentation of Toyota Olympians and Paralympians for the 2024 Video games.
- We’re in Paris, website of the following Video games. your development this 12 months, do you see it doable to win a Paralympic medal or is it nonetheless early?
- It’s not quickly, Paris has been one of many targets for years. I see myself sturdy and combating for the medals. It’s not simply an idyllic dream that I had once I began, I can dream of an actual medal.
- 2022 is the 12 months of his life…
- It has been, by far, the perfect of my profession. All I’ve been gaining are issues that I had on my checklist once I began. I’m very aggressive, I like to win. It has given me an adrenaline shot for the following season.
- What was on that checklist while you began in tennis?
- The very first thing was to get pleasure from. I had a tough childhood as a result of operations (he has Proteus Syndrome which causes irregular bone development). Then it was persevering with to develop as a participant after which the outcomes: being number one, profitable Grand Slams, being a world champion with Spain…
- Was tennis a refuge in your childhood?
- It was my lifeline. In a childhood marked by useful range and variations with different boys, tennis made the variations disappear and made the boy who dreamed of dedicating his life to sport seem.
tennis was my lifeline
- Exactly his first Grand Slam disputed was this 12 months right here, in Paris. He had simply gotten his driver’s license and got here to Roland Garros together with his Toyota. On this metropolis he started the dream of being among the many finest.
- Sure, it began in Paris. Right here I achieved my first singles victory in a Grand Slam. Hopefully it is the primary of many.
- And the primary title in a Grand Slam got here on the US Open. That is the place the comparisons with Alcaraz started. Do you prefer it or do it hassle you that they all the time examine Paralympians with others?
- It is all the time good to be in comparison with the perfect. At first they did it with Rafa. It hasn’t put any strain on me. Hopefully extra comparisons will come and the names of the Paralympians may even be references.
- What has been the recipe for achievement this season?
- Dedication and work. The job is non-negotiable. And that is crew work: my coach Fernando, my bodily coach Walter, the medical service and nutritionists of the CAR of Sant Cugat…
- And as a of entirety, the exhibition in Chile representing Spain along with Nadal
- It is a dream come true, one of many issues to cross off the checklist. He’s a legend and a reference.
- What’s your purpose for the following season?
- Being the perfect on a person stage, I need to be number one. I want to win particular person GS titles, with out discrediting doubles, which I like.
- Toyota, which is dedicated to mobility and making the Video games extra accessible, is a sponsor of the Paris Olympic and Paralympic Video games. You’re a part of the Spanish crew together with Carolina Marín, Niko Shera and Eva Ethical. What does your sponsorship imply to you?
- Toyota has modified my life. In Paralympic sport you want numerous assist and also you journey rather a lot (De la Puente has spent 25 weeks away from dwelling in 2022), so not solely cash is vital, but in addition mobility. Hopefully this alliance will proceed for a lot of extra years.
[ad_2] #Martín #Puente #medal #Paris #longer #dream